My children begin planning their Halloween attire on the 1st of November every year…yip, that’s the day after!
Whilst I am almost certain that their obsession begins with the fact that Halloween is defined largely by sweets, I do reckon that a morbid fascination with spooks, zombies, vampires and blood is part of the reason – and of course the parade of costumes in the streets on the night thereof. All things considered – the kids dig it! And us older kids find it difficult not to get swept up by the festivities.
So, in our home we have turned this annual event into a gathering of the family and young cousins where we carve a pumpkin, braai some chops, hand out sweets, and flip a coin to decide who leads the trick or treat fleet.
This year however, I thought we would up the antsy and get a little more creative on the food front (not that there is anything wrong with good old chops) – perhaps this will inspire the same for you and yours…
- Vampire cookies – Bloody raspberry jam filled butter cookies with eerily realistic fang marks detail.
- Spooky spider devilish eggs – Lightly creamed and curried boiled eggs with scooped out centres and spidery olive detailing.
- Ghostly Shepherd’s Pie – Quirky take on a traditional mince and mash pie. Certainly a winner for the kids…and an opportunity to get something vaguely healthy into their systems aside from sugar!
- Guacamoldy with creature crisps – Tangy avocado dip with fun tortilla chip cut-outs.
- Blood orange cocktail – Shots of blood orange juice with Solerno and orange liquer served in funky test-tubes.
- Swamp slime sips – Slimy green fruit juice blend with tequila and a dash of lime juice, and green tea powder for the mouldy rims. Or remove the booze for a fun-kiddie friendly version for your trick-or-treaters to keep them hydrated whilst on the prowl.
Written by: Nancy Hoepner | Owner and Creative Director Magpie Creative www.magpiecreative.co.za | facebook.com/magpiecreativecapetown.co.za
Picture references: http://www.food.com/slideshow/fun-halloween-recipes-118/vampire-cookies-2http://www.food.com/slideshow/halloween-party-food-recipes-278/spider-deviled-eggs-2http://www.food.com/slideshow/halloween-party-food-recipes-278/spooky-shepherds-pie-13http://www.marthastewart.com/315007/guacamoldy-with-creature-chipshttp://www.marthastewart.com/852648/blood-orange-cocktails#Halloween%20Cocktails%20and%20Drink%20Recipes|/275515/halloween-cocktails-and-drink-recipes/@center/1006805/halloween recipes|852648http://www.marthastewart.com/266216/swampsips#Halloween%20Cocktails%20and%20Drink%20Recipes|/275515/halloween-cocktails-and-drink-recipes/@center/1006805/halloween-recipes|266216